Our budget was pretty boring this week. I stocked up on a few holiday food items and purchased ingredients for a peanut butter brownie trifle I plan to make on Saturday. If it turns out as yummy as it sounds, I will post the recipe and pictures sometime soon.
Usually, I grocery shop alone. This week, I had an assistant. Todd joined me and we turned my normally mundane, boring evening of grocery shopping into date night. It was fun. I was told that we bought too many vegetables, though.
If you are new to my $350 budget posts, you can see the original story here. Budget posts from the previous two weeks of November are here and here. Also, in case you are wondering, I have some updates about our real life:
- The onions I am overwintering are still alive. Barely.
- I made homemade dishwasher detergent last weekend. I have not decided if I like it or not. Mostly because my dishwasher is flaking out on me.
- The bananas I bought at Costco two weeks ago are still green and inedible. Todd put some of them in a paper bag in hopes that they would ripen faster. The trick did not work.
- We plan to purchase another share in our food buying club next week. Hopefully next week’s box does not come with ten more pounds of “chicken.”
This week, I only shopped at two local grocery chains.
At the end of today’s post, you will see our weekly menu plan.
Local chain #1:
- Brownie mixes (36.8 oz.), Vanilla pudding mix (5.1 oz.), Brown sugar (2 lb.), Chocolate chips (24 oz.), $6.43 after coupons and tax
- Ranch dressing mix (1.13 oz.), Lentils (1 lb.), Spaghetti sauce (48 oz.), $4.82 after coupons
- Peanut butter cups (10.5 oz.), Caramel syrup (22 oz.), $4.68 after tax
- Apples (3 lb.), Romaine lettuce (1 head), Red potatoes (15 lb.), $8.23 after coupons and Checkout 51 rebate on lettuce
- Cool whip (16 oz.), Skim milk (3 gal.), $11.15 after coupons
- Toothpaste (6 oz.), $0.58 after coupons and tax
- Total: $35.89
Local chain #2:
- Olives (12 oz.), $1.58
- Green beans (29 oz.), Peas (30 oz.), Corn (60 oz.), $2.00 after coupons
- Baby carrots (2 lb.), Pineapple (1), Celery (1), $4.89
- Mixed veggies (5 lb.), $3.45
- Total: $11.92
Grand Total: $47.81
Month Total: $245.13
We have $104.87 left to spend for the month. This is an almost unheard of amount of money for me to have on hand this late in the month. If I can hang onto it, I just may put in an order for chicken with Zaycon. We will see.
Cereal, toast, bacon & egg biscuits, cottage cheese with fruit, cinnamon bread, pancakes & eggs
Quesadillas, sandwiches, noodles, burritos, macaroni & cheese, church potluck on Sunday
Tuna noodle casserole, lettuce salad, applesauce
Chicken & rice, lettuce salad, raisins
Cheeseburger calzones, lettuce salad, pineapple
Bean & rice burritos, lettuce salad
Hamburgers, mashed potatoes, green beans
Lentil spaghetti, lettuce salad
Foster care meeting (dinner provided)
How do you keep your grocery budget in check? What are you eating this week?