This week has been particularly busy at our house. Your house, too? Sunday is usually my quiet day. Once we return home from church, I typically spend time planning for the week ahead.
Our Sunday was busy this week, though. The kids and I spent Sunday afternoon at practice for our church’s child-led Christmas service. After that, the whole family went Christmas shopping and actually ate dinner out at a restaurant. The following few days were a complete blur. As a result, we did not have a menu written for the week until late this afternoon.
I am not a huge fan of flying by the seat of my pants. Thankfully, we have managed our way through the relative chaos pretty well. I also discovered a bonus: no menu meant no grocery list. I shopped for pretty much all of our food from the pantry and deep freeze until today. Our budget was very thankful.
This week, I shopped at two local chains and the Dollar Tree. At the end of the post, you will see our weekly menu.
Local chain #1 (first trip):
- Oyster crackers (36 oz.), $4.00
- Potatoes (5 lb.), $0.99
- Total: $4.99
Local chain #1 (second trip):
- Salt (26 oz.), $0.69
- Pineapple (1), Mixed veggies (4 lb.), $4.75
- Shredded cheese (2 lb.), $6.00 after coupons
- Total: $11.44
Local chain #2:
- Apple juice cocktail (64 oz.), Mayo (60 oz.), Cereal (36.6 oz.), $6.60 after coupons
- Toilet paper (24 double rolls), $6.13 after coupons
- Baby carrots (2 lb.), Apples (3 lb.), Romaine lettuce (1 head), Red potatoes (8 lb.), Mixed veggies (16 oz.), $9.36 after coupons
- Eggs (1 doz.), Milk (2 gal.), $8.78
- Total: $30.87
- Pretzels (12 oz.), Animal crackers (11 oz.), $2.00
- Flour tortillas (3 lb.), $3.00
- Total: $5.00
Grand Total: $52.30
Month Total: $277.46
Since we started out with some leftover money from November, our budget still has some wiggle room for the end of the month. We have $112.24 left to spend for the rest of December.
Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal, cereal, toast & eggs, pancakes & eggs
Sandwiches, egg burritos, buttered noodles & beans, cheese quesadillas, mac & cheese, fruits & veggies
Cheeseburger calzones, lettuce salad, green beans
Bean, corn, & tomato burritos, lettuce salad
Vegetable beef soup, homemade bread, lettuce salad
Beefy rice, peas, lettuce salad
Turkey gravy over mashed potatoes, carrots, lettuce salad
Supper at church (x1)
Christmas party for foster families (x1)
How do you get dinner on the table every week? Let me know in an email or comment below!