I bought a little more this week than I would have liked. I am hoping to *almost* eliminate the use of paper towels in our home. (More on that in another post soon.) As a result, I spent some money on paper towel substitutes that ate some of the monthly budget. The hope is that I will see that money come back to us over time. But for now, it hurts a little.
We are still going to be closer to budget than we were in either August or September, but I am a little concerned we will be slightly over our $400 in October. The problem is that I find sales, so then I stock up. But some months have more money available for stocking up than others. Sigh… Eventually I will figure this out.
This week I shopped at Costco, CVS, Walmart, Glove Collaborative, and one local chain. I am beginning to wonder if I will need to begin shopping at our most inexpensive local chain again. I had hoped avoiding them (and their pricing inaccuracies) would not create budgetary problems, but I think it is. Rats. I will make a decision sometime next month.
If you are new to my weekly budgeting posts, you can catch the original story here. As always, our weekly menu plan is listed at the end of the post. In the suppers, there is one meal listed as “kids cook.” This will be a meal our oldest daughter prepares for her French class, so the recipe is a mystery to me.
- Reusable kitchen sponges/rags (5), Deodorant (4.5 oz.), $17.96
- Shave gel (6.25 oz.), Dish brush (1), free
- Total: $17.96
- Saline solution (20 oz.), Flossers (12 ct.), $14.49 after coupons and tax
- Total: $14.49 plus I received $5.00 ExtraBucks to use on my next shopping trip
- Tortilla chips (6 lb.), Veggie Straws (25 oz.), Almond milk (1.5 gal.), Shredded cheddar (5 lb.), Milk (1 gal.), $36.95 after Ibotta rebate
- Hot dogs (1 lb.), Bacon (3 lb.), Eggs (1.5 doz.), Shredded mozzarella (1 lb.), $10.24
- Carrots (2 lb.), Lettuce (2), Apples (3.9 lb.), $7.98 after Checkout 51 rebate
- Total: $18.12 after reusable bag discount
- Pineapple (1), Strawberries (1 lb.), Lettuce (2), Peas (12 oz.), Corn (12 oz.), Mixed veggies (12 oz.), Bananas (2.1 lb.), $12.70
- Ice cream (1.75 qt.), Pepperoni (5 oz.), Ham (1 lb.), $7.06
- Mustard (12 oz.), Tortillas (2 lb.), Eggs (3 doz.), Milk (1 gal.), $12.39
- Total: $29.14 after Ibotta and Walmart Savings Catcher rebates
Grand Total: $116.31
Total for October: $268.73
We have $131.27 left for the month. That is tight, but realistic, if I watch my budget closely. Who knows? It just might happen.
Homemade Granola with yogurt or milk, toast, pancakes, eggs, fruit
Hard-boiled eggs & crackers, burritos, sandwiches, fruits & veggies
Hot ham and cheese sandwiches, carrot sticks, lettuce salad
Salmon, rice pilaf, mixed veggies, lettuce salad
Chicken, bean, and tomato burritos, lettuce salad
Homemade Mac & Cheese, lettuce salad, pineapple
Homemade Pepperoni Pizza, lettuce salad
Supper at church (x1)
Kids cook (x1)