Sometimes, I walk in a store thinking my list is pretty small, only to end up walking out $50.00 poorer. That happened to me this week when I underestimated the gravitational power of a ground beef sale. Since we had room in the budget, I bought a few more pounds than I originally intended. Todd, who thinks red meat should be its own food group, enjoyed a surprise cheeseburger for supper on our anniversary.
If you are new to my weekly budget posts, you can find the original story here. And if you missed the announcement last week, our former $350 budget got a boost for 2016. Woot, woot! We have an extra few dollars to spend every month on groceries and household supplies.
I found many good deals this week. Free toothpaste and bread. Almost free dish detergent and bananas. Also, several free samples showed up in the mail. This week I shopped at Wal-Mart, Dollar Tree, and two local chains.
At the end of today’s post, you will see this week’s menu.
- Dish detergent (50.4 oz.), $1.03 after tax, coupons, and Ibotta rebate
- Almond milk (1 gal.), Skim milk (2 gal.), $11.67 after Ibotta rebate
- Tomatoes (14.5 oz.), Spaghetti sauce (24 oz.), Ranch dip mix (.74 oz.), $2.45 after Ibotta rebates
- Bananas (1.74 lb.), $0.53 Checkout 51 & Ibotta rebates
- Total: $15.68
- Pepperoni (7 oz.), Flour tortillas (4 lb.), Chicken bouillon (3.52 oz.), Pinto beans (2 lb.), $8.00
- Lunch bags (50 ct.), $1.07 after tax
- Pretzels (9.5 oz.), Animal crackers (11 oz.), Whale crackers (7 oz.), $3.00
- Total: $12.07
- Granola bars (2.8 oz.), K-Cups (2)
- Breathe Right strips (2)
- Cat food (6 oz.), Wet cat food (3 oz.)
- Total: Free
Local Chain #1:
- Saltine crackers (3 lb.), $3.00
- Pineapple (1), Pears (2.04 lb.), Apples (3.99 lb.), $7.96
- Total: $10.86 after reusable bag discount
Local Chain #2:
- Toilet paper (24 double rolls), Toothpaste (18.4 oz.), $8.86
- Bread (3 lb.), Diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.), Pasta (3 lb.), Granola bar (1.4 oz.), $2.96
- Ground beef (9 lb.), $17.82
- Cucumbers (2), Apples (3 lb.), Romaine lettuce (2 heads), Frozen corn (3 lb.), Frozen green beans (2 lb.), $11.53
- Greek yogurt (5.3 oz.), Skim milk (2 gal.), Almond milk (1 gal.), $12.93
- Total: $54.10
Grand Total: $92.71
Month Total: $227.42
January Budget Remaining: $172.58
I will budget $21.00 for our food club share at the end of the month. The rest will be divided between the remaining two weeks of January. Since I do not envision another trip to Costco anytime soon, we should be just fine.
English muffins, cottage cheese, cinnamon rolls, yogurt, eggs, granola, pancakes
Sandwiches, Noodles & beans, Quesadillas, Pizza, Italian dunkers, Burritos, Fruits & veggies
Sloppy joes, mashed potatoes, peas
Chicken & rice, green beans, lettuce salad
Cheeseburgers, French fries, corn
Homemade macaroni & cheese, mixed veggies, lettuce salad
Tex-Mex lasagna, lettuce salad
Chicken bowtie pasta, peas, lettuce salad
How do you manage your grocery budget? Let me know in an email or comment below!