Our community has three local grocery chains. A couple of years ago, I stopped shopping at one of them. The prices were not great, my experiences with customer service were poor, and my produce went bad rather quickly.
Last week, a friend recommended that I give the chain another try. She told me that I could get eggs and peanut butter for less than a dollar each. And apparently things were remodeled and improved. I cannot seem to pass up a good bargain on eggs or peanut butter, so I took the advice and went shopping.
I did not go into the produce section of the store, so I cannot say whether or not quality has improved since my last trip there. The sale prices on several items were pretty awesome, though. And the customer service? I was impressed. So, thanks to the advice of my friend, I now have an additional spot to scout for bargains.
In case you are new to the $400 budget posts, you can catch the original story here. This week I shopped at Dollar Tree and two of our local chains. At the end of today’s post, you will see our weekly menu plan.
- Tortillas (3 lb.), Black beans (2 lb.), $5.00
- Pretzels (12 oz.), $1.00
- Total: $6.00
Local Chain #1:
- Diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.), Pasta (3 lb.), $3.65
- Lucky Charms (11.5 oz.), Cheerios (24 oz.), Honey Nut Cheerios (12.25 oz.), $2.61 after coupons
- Diet Pepsi (2 l.), Apple juice (64 oz.), free after coupons
- Bananas (1.89 lb.), Green cabbage (2.77 lb.), Baby carrots (1 lb.), Romaine lettuce (2 heads), Onions (3 lb.), Oranges (4 lb.), $13.09 after Checkout 51 rebate
- Skim milk (2 gal.), Almond milk (1 gal.), $13.78
- Total: $33.13
Local Chain #2:
- Peanut butter (16 oz.), Spaghetti sauce (24 oz.), Tortilla chips (39.5 oz.), $4.94 after coupons
- Apple juice (1 gal.),$2.00 after coupon
- Maxi pads (44 ct.), $5.07 after coupons and tax
- Cottage cheese (44 oz.), Margarine (1 lb.), Eggs (1 doz.), $5.86 after coupons
- Frozen veggies (5 lb.), $4.00 after coupon
- Total: $21.87
Grand Total: $61.00
Month Total: $288.42
January Budget Remaining: $111.58
Next week we will have our monthly $21.00 expenditure for the food buying club. Unless there are stellar sales at one or more stores, I suspect we will have carryover for February.
Granola w/yogurt, toast, eggs, cinnamon rolls, muffins, cottage cheese, pancakes
Sandwiches, burritos, quesadillas, rice & beans, fruits & veggies
Hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes, biscuits, green beans
Pepperoni pizza, lettuce salad
Chicken pot pie, lettuce salad
Macaroni & cheese, corn, coleslaw
Potato soup in bread bowls, cheese slices, coleslaw
Chili, crackers, lettuce salad
Chicken sandwiches on homemade buns, oven fries, corn
How do you keep your grocery budget low? Email me or comment below!