Well, our 2016 household shopping has officially come to a close. And guess what? We are under budget. Hooray! In spite of ourselves, and being over budget most of this fall, we figured it out and made the budget work.
This week, I shopped at two stores: CVS and a local chain. We also brought home various leftovers from Christmas celebrations with family. That was yummy.
We still have not hammered out the 2017 budget. Until we do, I will continue using a $400 budget for our groceries and general household purchases. If you are new to my weekly budgeting posts, you can catch the original story here. As always, our weekly menu is written below.
- Pantiliners (20 ct.), Floss (87.4 yd.), $1.34 after tax and coupons
- Total: $1.34
- Tortilla chips (25 oz.), Fruit snacks (4.8 oz.), Tomatoes (14.5 oz.), Salsa (32 oz.), $6.15 after coupons
- Ground beef (9 lb.), Chicken nuggets (33 oz.), Frozen pizza (42 oz.), Tater tots (64 oz.), $31.08
- Apples (3.82 lb.), Onions (3 lb.), Lettuce (1), Milk (1 gal.), Almond milk (1 gal.), $15.39
- Total: $47.62 after coupons
Grand Total: $48.96
December Total: $369.96
2016 Total: $4769.96
We came in $30.04 under budget this year. This week I was even able to splurge a little on junk food for the kids. Todd and I are going on two lunch dates this week since he is off from work. Normally, this would annoy the kids a great deal. Fortunately, they can be bribed with cheap frozen pizzas and dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets. Even the teenager.
Muffins, toast, oatmeal, pancakes, eggs, fruit
Sandwiches, leftovers, frozen pizza, chicken nuggets, fruits & veggies
Spaghetti, green beans
Rice & beans, lettuce salad
Tater tot casserole, garlic toast, lettuce salad
Chicken tacos, mixed veggies
Sweet & sour kielbasa over rice, green beans, lettuce salad
How did your grocery budget fare this year? Let me know in an email or comment below!