I spent a little more time in the store this week. The family was tired of eating out of the pantry on a daily basis, and it was time to replenish supplies. We are nearly a third of the way through the month, and so far the budget is holding up pretty well.
Next week, once we have finished baking, I will deduct a value for any leftover baking supplies from the $400 budget. This week I am also taking $11 out of the budget for our Costco membership. For budgetary purposes, we divide the $55 charge over the last five months of the year.
If you are new to my weekly budgeting posts, you can catch the original story here. This week, I shopped at Walmart, the Dollar Tree, the gluten free bakery, and two local chains (one of them twice). As always, our weekly menu is posted below.
- Peanut butter (5 lb.), $5.86
- Total: $5.86
Gluten Free Bakery
- Bread (19 oz.), Buns (12 oz.), Bagels (14 oz.), $9.00
- Total: $9.00
- Freezer bags (18 ct.), Animal crackers (11 oz.), Tortillas (2 lb.), $4.08 after tax
- Total: $4.08
- Membership deduction, $11.00
- Total: $11.00
Local Chain #1 (first trip):
- Herbal tea (40 ct.), Pasta (4 lb.), Sugar (4 lb.), Crackers (2 lb.), Mayo (30 oz.), Mustard (12 oz.), Gluten free pasta (12 oz.), Corn (30.5 oz.), Bear crackers (10 oz.), Salad dressing (32 oz.), $23.18 after coupons
- Coleslaw (14 oz.), Lettuce (2), $1.96 after coupons
- Green beans (2 lb.), Peas (2 lb.), Mixed veggies (2 lb.), Milk (3 gal.), Almond milk (1 gal.), Eggs (2 doz.), Ham (1.07 lb.), $27.17 after coupons
- Total: $52.31
Local Chain #1 (second trip):
- Diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.), Spaghetti (1 lb.), Pasta sauce (96 oz.), $4.88 after coupon
- Ham (1 lb.), Eggs (3 doz.), $6.02
- Bananas (1.88 lb.), Apples (3.73 lb.), Carrots (2 lb.), Lettuce (1), $7.04 after coupon and Checkout 51 rebate
- Total: $17.94
Local Chain #2:
- Tomatoes (1.01 lb.), Pears (2.36 lb.), Cantaloupe (3.25 lb.), $5.91
- Shredded cheese (1 lb.), $3.00
- Total: $8.81 after reusable bag discount
Grand Total: $109.00
Total for December: $99.67
We had $9.33 left over in November, so I deducted that from our first week’s total this month. This leaves us with $300.33 to spend for the rest of this month. Not too shabby so far.
Pancakes, eggs, toast, Homemade Granola, cinnamon swirl bread, fruit
Italian dunkers, burritos, rice & beans, sandwiches, fruits & veggies
Homemade Pizza, lettuce salad
Fish, peas, pasta salad, lettuce salad
Homemade Mac & Cheese, corn, lettuce salad
Beefy rice, mixed veggies, lettuce salad
Supper at church (x1)
Dinner with family (x2)
Are you eating dinner at home less often because of the Christmas season? Let me know in an email or comment below!