This was a week full of changes to the meal schedule at our house. Abbie went on a midweek full-day band tour, our family had a foster care meeting over the dinner hour, and this weekend we are hosting family members from out of town.
It took a little longer than normal to write the weekly menu, but that is a-ok. We had enough wiggle room in the budget for the remainder of January to be flexible in our menu and still eat well. It helps that our food club share box had a few convenience foods in it. We normally do not buy those sorts of things, but sometimes on a busy weeknight they can be huge time savers.
I shopped at three of our local grocery chains this week. We also received our monthly food club share. If you are new to our blog, you can see my original grocery budget write-up here. At the end of today’s post, you will see our weekly menu plan.
Local Chain #1:
- Boneless chicken breasts (3 lb.), Eggs (2 doz.), $6.97
- Apples (2.77 lb.), Pears (3.34 lb.), $6.05
- Total: $12.97 after reusable bag discount
Local Chain #2:
- Cucumbers (4), Carrots (5 lb.), $6.15
- AA Batteries (4), free after coupon
- Total: $6.15
Local Chain #3:
- Crackers (15.1 oz), Brown rice (2 lb.), Garbanzo beans (2 lb.), Olive oil (3.5 oz.), Bread (40 oz.), $12.15 after coupons
- Diced tomatoes (58 oz.), Tomato sauce (60 oz.), Peppermint tea (20 ct.), $6.36 after coupons
- Sausages (12 oz.), Skim milk (2 gal.), Cream cheese (8 oz.), Almond milk (1 gal.), $15.76 after coupons
- Bananas (.93 lb.), Green cabbage (3.51 lb.), Celery (2), Garlic (2 oz.), Leeks (1.25 lb.), Lettuce (3), Mushrooms (1 lb.), $20.85
- Sesame seeds (.32 lb.), Chia seeds (.16 lb.), Lentils (1.59 lb.), Sunflower nuts (.68 lb.), Nutritional yeast (.03 lb.), $6.71
- Total: $61.83
Food Club Share:
- Sweet potatoes (5 lb.), Onions (3 lb.), Potatoes (10 lb.), Frozen vegetables (44 oz.)
- Napkins (250 ct.), Styrofoam cups (16 ct.)
- Greek yogurt (12 x 5.3 oz.), Whipped topping ( 12 oz.), Doughnuts (10), French bread (3), English muffins (12 oz.)
- Pizza mac (23 oz.), Chicken Helper (21.9 oz.), Hamburger Helper (37.5 oz.)
- Mountain Dew (6 x 16.9 oz.), Oatmeal raisin cookie dough (2.5 lb.), Pita chips (7.3 oz.)
- Bacon (10 oz.), Ground turkey (20 oz.)
- Total: $21.00
Grand Total: $101.95
Month Total: $390.37
January Budget Remaining: $9.63
The year started off well for us, with some carryover to take into February. Next month, we will start over with $409.63 available to spend.
Cereal with milk, English muffins & eggs, cottage cheese & toast, yogurt & toast, pancakes & eggs
Sandwiches, quesadillas, burritos, cheese & crackers, buttered noodles & beans, fruits & veggies
Stir fry with rice, pickles
Pizza mac, lettuce salad, corn
Baked chicken, mashed potatoes, French bread, carrots
Tuna noodle casserole, mixed veggies, lettuce salad
Chicken veggie soup, crackers, lettuce salad
Hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes, lettuce salad, peas & carrots
What do you do to keep grocery costs down? Write me an email or comment below!