February sure flew by for our family. All of a sudden the snow is melting. Temperatures are starting to rise. Spring is just around the corner.
I look forward to the change of seasons for many reasons, one of which is the adjustment to our menu. Spring and summer are filled with easy-to-prepare foods, salads, and lots of grilling. Yay! In the meantime, we continue eating soups and casseroles. All while waiting for the arrival of warm, springtime days.
In case you are new to the blog, you can find my original post about our monthly grocery shopping budget here. This month we have some overage in the budget. We opted to not purchase a share from our monthly food buying club. Our refrigerator and pantry are too full right now to hold the food. That, in addition to some smart shopping choices, made for a little extra money to carry over for next month.
This week I shopped at CVS, the Dollar Tree, and two local chains. At the end of today’s post you can find our weekly menu plan.
- Contacts solution (22 oz.), $3.68 after coupons and tax
- Total: $3.68, plus I earned $2.00 Extra Bucks to spend on my next shopping trip
- Alphabet cookies (11 oz.), Pretzels (9.5 oz.), Corn chips (8.5 oz.), Potato chips (6 oz.), Vanilla wafers (8 oz.), Animal crackers (11 oz.), $6.00
- Parmesan cheese topping (8 oz.), $1.00
- Total: $7.00
Local chain #1:
- Red cabbage (2.57 lb.), $2.54
- Total: $2.54
Local chain #2:
- Green beans (45 oz.), Cantaloupe (1), Carrots (2 lb.), Celery (1), Cucumbers (4), Apples (3 lb.), Romaine lettuce (2), Oranges (4 lb.), Onions (3 lb.), Spinach (2 bunches), Strawberries (1 lb.), Mushrooms (1 lb.), $30.41 after coupon
- Rice cakes (4.9 oz.), M & M’s (5.22 oz.), Coconut chips (.27 lb.), Soynuts (.88 lb.), Sunflower nuts (.82 lb.), Pasta sauce (15 lb.), $9.55 after coupons
- Ground beef (12 lb.), $28.96 after coupon
- Eggs (2 doz.), Skim milk (2 gal.), Gogurt (18 oz.), Coconut milk (1/2 gal.), $13.86 after coupon
- Total: $82.78
Grand Total: $96.00
February Budget Remaining: $28.88
Next month, we will begin with a budget of $428.88. Woot, woot! As you can see below, it is a light week for me in the kitchen. I am excited.
Burritos, sandwiches, soup, Macaroni & Cheese, fruits & veggies
Hamburger gravy with mashed potatoes, French bread, green beans
Fish, rice, lettuce salad, corn
Chicken fingers, noodles in cream sauce, lettuce salad, green beans
Eat at church (x1)
Eat out (x2)
How do you come in under budget with your grocery spending? Send me an email or comment below!