I spent very little time shopping for groceries this week. Our budget did not have a lot of wiggle room left for the month, so I avoided sales and bought just what we needed this week. The only exception to that rule was anything I found for free. Free cannot be beat, right?
It turns out that I was a little overzealous in my attempt to save money. We now will likely have an unusually large amount in the budget to carry over to next month.
If you are new to the blog, you can find my original budgeting post here. Before I went shopping this week, there was still $137.05 left in the budget for March. I shopped at CVS, the Dollar Tree, and one local chain. We also received two free sample items in the mail. At the end of today’s post, you can see our weekly menu plan.
- Dental floss (87.4 yd.), $6.58 after tax and coupons
- Total: $6.58, plus I received $4.00 in Extra Bucks to use on my next shopping trip
- Pecan cookies (6 oz.), Whale crackers (7 oz.), Animal crackers (11 oz.), $3.00
- Total: $3.00
- Shortening (1 lb.), Olives (11.75 oz.), Pickles (2 lb.), Mustard (20 oz.), $9.57 after coupons and Checkout 51 rebate
- Carrots (2 lb.), Romaine lettuce (1), Strawberries (2 lb.), Mixed veggies (1 lb.), $8.84 after coupons
- Cool Whip (8 oz.), Butter (2 lb.), Cottage cheese (44 oz.), Yogurt (2 lb.), Eggs (1 doz.), Skim milk (2 gal.), Shredded mozzarella (1 lb.), $20.38 after coupons
- Total: $38.79
- Flavored popcorn (7.25 oz.), Dog treat (0.58 oz.)
- Total: free!!
Grand Total: $48.37
March Total Remaining: $88.68
For the rest of the month, we will be in good shape with the grocery budget. Usually I do the bulk of my shopping on Sunday afternoons. This week’s shopping included plans for a couple extra days, since I do not plan to be at the grocery store on Easter. So, I have almost $90.00 to cover a couple of days. It looks like we will have some carryover for April.
Doughnuts, eggs, English muffins, cottage cheese, toast, yogurt
Burritos, sandwiches, quesadillas, fruits & veggies
Spaghetti, lettuce salad
Homemade pizza, strawberries
Chicken & vegetable stir fry, lettuce salad
Pulled pork sandwiches on homemade buns, hash browns, lettuce salad
Beefy rice, mixed veggies, lettuce salad
Eat out or leftovers (x1)
Dinner with family (x1)
What is your favorite food to eat on Easter? Send me an email or comment below!