This week was a budget buster in grocery shopping land. Thankfully, we have carry-over from February, so I do not have to panic (yet) about how much I spent.
I stocked up on canned goods this week because of some excellent sales. I fed my family many pounds of strawberries. And I purchased some staples for the pantry. I really did not have any impulse buys–all of the treats purchased were for specific snacks and meals.
Since we started out the month with a $28.88 surplus, our March budget is actually $428.88. If you are new to the blog, you can find my original monthly budgeting post here. This week I shopped at Costco, Dollar Tree, and two local chains. At the end of today’s post, you can see our weekly menu plan.
- Flour (25 lb.), Tortilla chips (3 lb.), Veggie straws (25 oz.), Lactose free milk (1.5 gal.), Peanut butter (6 lb.), $31.35
- Total: $31.35
- Whale crackers (7 oz.), Tortillas (3 lb.), Dental floss (115 yd.), $5.08
- Total: $5.08
Local Chain #1:
- Baking powder (12 oz.), Oranges (2.51 lb.), Strawberries (2 lb.), Potatoes (5 lb.), $10.86
- Total: $10.86
Local Chain #2:
- Brownie mix (18.4 oz.), Frosting (1 lb.), Bread (24 oz.), Graham crackers (28.8 oz.), Mini Wheats (36 oz.), Olive oil (8.5 oz.), Oreos (30 oz.), Taco shells (13.5 oz.), $16.28 after coupons and Checkout 51 rebate
- Salsa (2 lb.), Flavored water (34 oz.), Canned tomatoes (174 oz.), Tomato sauce (90 oz.), Green beans (87 oz.), Peas (90 oz.), Corn (91.5 oz.), Toilet paper (24 double rolls), $23.44 after coupons and tax
- Boneless pork loin (7.18 lb.), $10.63
- Apples (3 lb.), Avocados (3), Carrots (2 lb.), Strawberries (2 lb.), Cucumbers (4), $12.51 after Checkout 51 rebate
- Skim milk (2 gal.), Yogurt (2 lb.), Almond milk (.5 gal.), Cream cheese substitute (8 oz.), $17.83
- Total: $80.69
Grand Total: $127.98
March Budget Remaining: $300.90
Our pantry is pretty full right now. Thankfully, Todd likes to organize things–even food. Hopefully my shopping trips for the remainder of the month will be a little lighter.
Cinnamon Quick Bread, yogurt, toast, eggs, cereal w/milk, pancakes, bacon
Rice & beans, quesadillas, peanut butter on celery & crackers, sandwiches, burritos, fruits & veggies
Chicken & noodles, lettuce salad, strawberries
Pork loin, mashed potatoes, coleslaw, bread
Beefy rice, lettuce salad
Tuna noodle casserole, lettuce salad, peas
Tex-Mex lasagna, lettuce salad
Fish, rice, corn, strawberries
Supper at church (x1)
How do you find the best deals on groceries? Email me or comment below!