This week was a blur. If you caught my post on Monday, we traveled for Easter weekend. Once home, we faced school assignments, band concerts, and too much laundry.
Todd’s parents shared a small cooler of food with us on Sunday. It was mostly leftovers and pantry items they had in the house that they do not plan to eat anytime soon. I forgot to take a picture. In addition, my picture from the Dollar Tree did not save on my phone. Oops. So everyone will just have to trust me that the food is here.
I made several small trips into a few stores. There were no large shopping adventures. I shopped at two local chains, the Dollar Tree, CVS, and Natural Grocers. You will see that I went over budget for March. Virtually all of that overage was spent today on food that will not even be eaten until tomorrow at the earliest. I am not too upset about the situation. I spent the money in March, but it is April’s food.
If you are new to the blog, my original budgeting post is here. At the beginning of the week, we still had $88.68 left to spend for the month of March. At the end of the post I have written our weekly menu plan.
Local chain #1:
- Crackers (36.2 oz.), Smoked sausage (14 oz.), $4.50 after coupons and Checkout 51 rebate
- Potatoes (5 lb.), Strawberries (2 lb.), Pineapple (1), Apples (1.37 lb.), Mixed veggies (4 lb.), $12.84 after Checkout 51 rebate
- Total: $17.34
Local chain #2:
- Tortilla chips (44 oz.), Salsa (4 lb.), Spaghetti (1 lb.), Rice cakes (6.56 oz.), Pasta sauce (24 oz.), $9.72 after coupons
- Powdered milk (25.6 oz.), Skim milk (2 gal.), $15.46
- Chicken breasts (5 lb.), Ground beef (10.06 lb.), $26.80
- Baby carrots (2 lb.), Apples (3 lb.), $6.56
- Total: $58.54
- Whale crackers (7 oz.), Pretzels (9.5 oz.), $2.00
- Total: $2.00
- Olive oil spread (13 oz.), Soy nuts (1 lb.), Sunflower nuts (1 lb.), Apple tea (20 ct.), $11.79
- Gluten free English muffins (18 oz.), Romaine lettuce (1), $8.04
- Total: $19.83
- Shampoo (47.4 oz.), $6.11 after coupons & tax
- Total: $6.11 plus I received $4.00 Extra Bucks to use on my next shopping trip
Grand Total: $103.82
This is my first time going over budget in a long, long time. I bought a lot of meat today, though, and there is even more in the freezer. I still have $384.86 left to spend in April.
Toast, cottage cheese, eggs, muffins, yogurt, cereal w/milk, pancakes
Burritos, noodles & beans, Italian dunkers, deviled eggs w/crackers, sandwiches, Homemade Mac & Cheese, fruits & veggies
Tuna noodle casserole, lettuce salad, green beans
Sweet and sour sausage over rice, strawberries
Scalloped potatoes and ham, muffins, mixed veggies
Hot ham & cheese on Homemade Bread, lettuce salad, corn
Spaghetti w/lentils, lettuce salad
Chicken & rice, lettuce salad, mixed veggies
Hamburgers on Homemade Buns, French fries, corn
How do you manage to keep your grocery budget in line? Comment below or send me an email!