I feel like I have invested a lot of time thinking about groceries and menus this week. Two days ago, I wrote a post about how we ate while visiting Washington, D.C., last year. This week I shopped at several grocery stores again. That took some time.
And soon, I will be generating our menu plan for this summer’s family vacation to Disney World. We received our travel schedule this week, so now it is time for this non-spontaneous mom to think about travel food again. Eating at Disney on a budget? You bet! Call me cheap. Maybe a little crazy. Once the plan is in place, I will share it here.
If you are new to our blog, you can read my original budgeting post here. This week, I shopped at one local chain, CVS, and the Dollar Tree. At the end of today’s post, I have written our weekly menu plan.
- Apple tea (20 ct.), Pasta (3 lb.), Toilet paper (24 double rolls), Cereal (69.4 oz.), Candy bar (3 oz.), Taco shells (13.5 oz.), $20.22 after coupons and tax
- Bratwurst (14 oz.), Cottage cheese (44 oz.), Yogurt (32 oz.), Eggs (1 doz.), Milk (1 gal.), Ice cream (1.75 qt.), $11.94 after coupons
- Carrots (2 lb.), Celery (1), Romaine lettuce (2), Green beans (2 lb.), Peas & carrots (2 lb.), Peas (2 lb.), Corn (2 lb.), Soynuts (0.74 lb.), $14.72 after Checkout 51 rebate
- Total: $46.88
- Moisturizer (4 oz.), Maxi pads (36 ct.), $15.59 after tax and coupon
- Total: $15.59
- Popcorn chips (3 oz.), Apple/Veggie puffs (9 oz.), Whale crackers (7 oz.), Snack crackers (8 oz.), Peanut butter cups (4.5 oz.), Raisins (4.5 oz.), $8.00
- Total: $8.00
Grand Total: $70.47
April Budget Remaining: $153.85
Even though I shopped at several stores, the budget is still in very good shape. We have a week left in our month. It looks like we will be able to successfully dig ourselves out of March’s overspending.
Toast, eggs, muffins, yogurt, cereal w/milk
Burritos, sandwiches, deviled eggs w/crackers, fruits & veggies
Chicken & rice, frozen veggies, lettuce salad
Bratwurst on Homemade Buns, mashed potatoes, lettuce salad
Grilled cheese, tomato sauce, lettuce salad
Cheeseburger calzones, lettuce salad
Tuna noodle casserole, frozen veggies, lettuce salad
Dinner out (x2)
What are your favorite strategies to keep grocery costs low? Email me or comment below!