Somehow, in spite of myself, we ended the month of April with significant money left in the food budget. This, after I was $15.00 in debt to myself after overspending in March. I am not complaining, but I am a bit stumped.
If you are new to my weekly budget posts, you can read the original story here. This week, I shopped at two local chains and Costco. Todd’s parents also sent us home with a box full of food this weekend. It contained several items, including some pre-packaged pasta meals, lemonade mixes, and my personal favorite: an enormous bottle of salad dressing. I forgot to snap a picture of the box, but I did include a picture of the salad dressing here.
At the end of today’s post, I listed our weekly menu plan.
Local Chain #1:
- Potatoes (10 lb.), Baby carrots (1 lb.), Pears (3.01 lb.), Romaine lettuce (1), $7.94
- Skim milk (1 gal.), Almond milk (1/2 gal.), Shredded cheese (1.5 lb.), $11.98
- Total: $19.77 after reusable bag discount
Local Chain #2:
- Salsa (6 lb.), White bread (24 oz.), Rice cakes (4.9 oz.), Spaghetti (1 lb.), $10.76 after coupons
- Bratwurst (54 oz.), Eggs (2 doz.), Ice cream substitute (16 oz.), $14.27 after coupons
- Avocados (4), Cantaloupe (2), Romaine lettuce (2), Oranges (4 lb.), Strawberries (2 lb.), Soynuts (.97 lb.), Sunflower seeds (1.14 lb.), $22.81 after coupon
- Total: $47.84
- Lactose-free milk (1.5 gal.), Whole milk (2 gal.), Cheddar cheese (5 lb.), $23.87 after Ibotta rebate
- Flour (25 lb.), Veggie straws (25 oz.), Tortilla chips (3 lb.), Gluten-free flour (5 lb.), $24.31 after Ibotta rebate
- Total: $48.18
Grand Total: $115.79
April Budget Remaining: $38.06
I was so excited about our overage that I did something I almost never do. I splurged on “ice cream” for just me. Last night, I perched in the kitchen with a small bowlful. It was only the fourth time I have eaten any form of a sugary treat since mid-January. I enjoyed it more than I should have.
Next month, we will start out with a budget of $438.06. Some of that will be used to stash away non-perishable food for our upcoming summer trip to Florida. Prepare to see more bulk-style snack foods show up in my posts for May.
Yogurt, muffins, cereal w/milk, egg burritos, lemon bread, cottage cheese, pancakes, eggs
Burritos, rice & beans, quesadillas, sandwiches, Homemade Mac & Cheese, fruits & veggies
Beefy rice, carrots, green beans
Fish, French fries, lettuce salad, garlic toast
Pizza mac w/beans, lettuce salad
Turkey gravy over mashed potatoes, biscuits, cantaloupe
Hamburger pizza, lettuce salad
Tacos, fruit salad
Bratwurst, French fries, corn