I am finding myself in an odd space of time somewhere between winter and spring. Some days, the weather is so spring-like it causes me to count how many days our family has left in the school year (thirty-one). Other times it is cold and unpleasant enough that I feel fairly certain summer will never arrive.
Our menu is feeling a similar confusion. I cannot decide between soup and pasta salad some days. Or grilled bratwurst versus a slow-cooked roast. We will make the full transition soon, but in the meantime, we are bridging the divide between both seasons.
If you are new to my budgeting posts, you can read the original story here. This week I shopped at two local chains, Costco, and the Dollar Tree. At the end of today’s post I have written out our weekly menu plan.
Local Chain #1:
- Pasta (6 lb.), Mushrooms (8 oz.), Oranges (3.58 lb.), Cheese (3 lb.), Eggs (2 doz.), $19.66
- Total: $19.66
Local Chain #2:
- Ketchup (23 oz.), Potato chips (16.46 oz.), Food coloring (1 oz.), $5.76 after coupons
- Clementines (6 lb.), Romaine lettuce (2), Potatoes (8 lb.), Green beans (3 lb.), Peas (3 lb.), $19.89 after coupon
- Yogurt (2 lb.), Almond milk (1/2 gal.), Cheese substitute (8 oz.), Cream cheese substitute (8 oz.), $15.36
- Total: $41.01
- Skim milk (2 gal.), Lactose-free milk (1.5 gal.), Butter (4 lb.), $21.53 after Ibotta rebate
- Tortilla chips (3 lb.), Veggie straws (25 oz.), Strawberries (4 lb.), $17.77
- Total: $39.30
- Vanilla wafers (8 oz.), Tortillas (3 lb.), $4.00
- Total: $4.00
Grand Total: $103.97
April Budget Remaining: $280.89
Even though this is my first budgeting post in April, I ran over budget in March. You will notice that $400 minus my grand total does not equal the April budget remaining. I am carrying that overage into the budget for this month, so we will be about $15.00 less than normal. Most of the purchases that caused my overage stocked our deep freeze and pantry, though, so that spending will carry us through for a long time.
Eggs, muffins, toast, yogurt, pancakes
Spaghetti, quesadillas, sandwiches, rice & beans, Italian dunkers on Homemade Bread, cheese & crackers, fruits & veggies
Taco salad, baked potatoes
Chicken & veggie soup, crackers, lettuce salad
Hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes, muffins, peas
Chicken fingers, pasta salad, green beans, strawberries
Pork sandwiches, mashed potatoes, mixed veggies
Cheese pizza, lettuce salad
Fish, rice, corn, lettuce salad
What are your favorite go-to weeknight meals? Send me an email or reply below!