Summer vacation officially arrived in our household this week. School year activities are over, public school classes end tomorrow, and we are in full summer planning mode. It is exciting!
We hosted family most of the weekend and we had a slower-paced life this week. I expected to spend more time in the kitchen, but it turned out that most of our meals were still quick and simple. I found a couple of surprise deals: pears for less than a dollar a pound and eggs for fifty cents per dozen, so I did something I almost never do. I purchased items that were not on my list.
If you are new to my weekly budgeting posts, you can read the original story here. This week I shopped at one local chain and CVS. At the end of my post, I have written out our weekly menu plan.
- Lemonade mix (19 oz.), Potato chips (10 oz.), Salsa (32 oz.), Peanut butter (18 oz.), BBQ Sauce (36 oz.), $9.68 after coupons
- Bananas (1.91 lb.), Cucumbers (2), Lettuce (1), Onions (3 lb.), Pears (3.67 lb.), Watermelon (1), Peanuts (1.55 lb.), Soynuts (0.57 lb.), Sunflower seeds (0.80 lb.), $19.32 after coupons and Checkout 51 rebate
- Cottage cheese (22 oz.), Milk (2 gal.), Eggs (4 doz.), Gluten-free bread (17 oz.), $16.34
- Total: $45.34
- Maxi pads (36 ct.), $6.10 after coupons, tax, and Checkout 51 rebate
- Edamame trail mix (7 oz.), Popcorn (2.25 oz.), Fruit leather (2.82 oz.), $7.71 plus I earned $3 in Extrabucks for my next shopping trip
- Total: $13.81
Grand Total: $59.15
May Total Remaining: $91.01
I may end up shopping at one more local chain this month–they are having a good sale on ground beef. Otherwise, I am likely done shopping for May. The surplus money will go toward our summer stock-up. I am excited to have so much left over!
Toast, cereal w/milk, eggs, fruit, egg burritos
Rice & beans, cheese quesadillas, sandwiches, cheese & crackers, fruits & veggies
Hamburgers on Homemade Buns, French fries, lettuce salad
Tuna noodle casserole, peas, lettuce salad
Beefy rice soup, lettuce salad
Loaded baked potatoes with bacon & cheese, carrots
Cheeseburger pizza, lettuce salad
Dinner with extended family (x2)
How do you save money on groceries? Let me know in an email or comment below!