We started this month with a little extra in the budget. We had nearly $40.00 left after April ended. In spite of that, I was a little worried when shopping this week. I felt like I put a lot of odd items in the grocery cart. And yet in the end, we still spent less than $100.00.
All three of our girls plan to enter baked items in the county fair through 4H, and this week they are experimenting with recipes. We are sampling new varieties of muffins, brownies, breadsticks, and cookies. While yummy, I am glad there is a little bit of a pad in the budget.
If you are new to my budgeting posts, you can read the original story here. This week I shopped at two local chains, CVS, and Menard’s. Menard’s? Yes, Menard’s. When Todd and I went there looking for landscaping supplies I found free crackers. It is hard to beat free.
At the end of today’s post, you will see our weekly menu plan.
Local Chain #1:
- Grapes (3.2 lb.), Cucumbers (4), Apples (4 lb.), $12.53
- Total: $12.53
Local Chain #2:
- Chocolate chips (24 oz.), Tortillas (1 lb.), Peanut butter chips (10 oz.), Salt (26 oz.), Pasta (3 lb.), Raspberry jam (18 oz.), Flavored water (17 oz.), Cocoa powder (8 oz.), Honey (12 oz.), Gluten free buns (7 oz.), $25.08 after coupons and tax
- Bacon (24 oz.), Sunflower seeds (0.94 lb.), $7.15 after coupon
- Avocados (3), Bananas (2.73 lb.), Carrots (2 lb.), Raspberries (1 pt.), Lemons (2), Romaine lettuce (2), Corn (2 lb.), Green beans (2 lb.), Peas (2 lb.), Mixed veggies (2 lb.), $19.64 after coupons and Checkout 51 rebate
- Greek yogurt (5.3 oz.), Whole milk (2 gal.), Eggs (3 doz.), Cream cheese (1 lb.), $15.11
- Total: $66.98
- Shampoo (6 oz.), Contacts solution (12 oz.), $15.50 after coupons and tax
- Total: $15.50
- Veggie crackers (80.4 oz.), Free after rebate
- Total: Free
Grand Total: $95.01
May Budget Remaining: $343.05
The budget looks pretty good so far. We are making a few menu tweaks–increased protein and fresh produce consumption–but we should still be fine with our spending. We will see how the month progresses.
Egg burritos, Cereal w/milk, Toast w/peanut butter, Lemon bread w/yogurt, Oatmeal & eggs, Pancakes & bacon, Fruit
Cheese & crackers, Rice & beans, Sandwiches, Italian dunkers, Fruits & veggies
Fish sandwiches, mixed veggies, grapes
Homemade Mac & Cheese, peas, cucumbers
Beefy rice, green beans, lettuce salad
Chicken fingers, pasta salad, carrots, lettuce salad
Tex-Mex lasagna, lettuce salad
Chili mac, lettuce salad
Chicken & ranch calzones, peas & carrots, lettuce salad
What are your favorite ways to keep your grocery budget in line? Email me or comment below!