For the last several weeks, I have hibernated at home whenever possible. It is not that I felt antisocial, but our schedule was so crazy with end-of-year activities that we tried to get down time whenever we could. Now that summer vacation has arrived, there are many tasks to which I must attend. It seems like almost all of them involve a purchase of some sort.
The last few days, I spent a great deal of time shopping. In real stores. Some of the purchases were for the $400 budget. Other items were not–tank tops for dance class, a suitcase for going to Disney, hamster food, etc., etc. I am grateful for the budget carryover we had in May. The extra $91.01 will go a long way toward funding extra purchases.
If you are new to the blog, you can read my original weekly budget story here. This week for the $400 budget, I shopped at Costco, Walmart, the Dollar Tree, and two local chains. At the end of the post, I have listed our weekly menu plan.
- Lactose free milk (1.5 gal.), Skim milk (1 gal.), Cheddar cheese (5 lb.), $20.54
- Raisins (4.5 lb.), Veggie straws (25 oz.), Tortilla chips (3 lb.), $17.07
- Total: $37.61
Local Chain #1:
- Candy bars (3.1 oz.), Peanut butter (16 oz.), Salsa (50 oz.), Maxipads (72 ct.), $17.05 after coupons and tax
- Cantaloupe (2), Cucumbers (4), Lettuce (2), Apples (3 lb.), Strawberries (2 lb.), Green beans (2 lb.), Peas (3 lb.), Mixed veggies (2 lb.), $25.14 after coupon
- Whole milk (1 gal.), Almond milk (0.5 gal.), $7.19
- Total: $49.38
Local Chain #2:
I forgot to snap a picture.
- Instant pudding (3.9 oz.), Ground beef (6.01 lb.), $12.85
- Total: $12.85
- Ginger snaps (10 oz.), Pretzels (19 oz.), Tortillas (3 lb.), $6.00
- Hair elastics (750 ct.), Hair gel (8 oz.), Hairspray (4 oz.), $3.68 after tax
- Total: $9.68
- Almond milk single packs (96 oz.), Single serve peanut butter (12 oz.), Herbal tea (20 ct.), $17.34
- Wet wipes (40 ct.), Moleskin (3 sheets), $4.41 after tax
- Total: $21.75
Grand Total: $131.27
June Budget Remaining: $359.74
I have a few stores left to shop at this week. CVS, Hobby Lobby, and Natural Grocers are all on the list. Not everything I buy will end up on the blog, as not all of it is for the $400 budget. And then hopefully next week? I can spend some time hibernating again.
Eggs, blueberry bread, cereal w/milk, toast, pancakes, fruit
Sandwiches, cheese & crackers, burritos, eggs, fruits & veggies
Pork sandwiches, lettuce salad
Beefy noodles, mixed veggies, lettuce salad
Fish, rice, peas, strawberries
Hamburgers on Homemade Buns, French fries, lettuce salad
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese, lettuce salad, green beans
Chicken tacos, lettuce salad, corn
Spaghetti, lettuce salad
How do you keep grocery spending in check? Send me an email or comment below!