I spent some time grocery shopping this week. Our cupboards were pretty bare before heading to Florida, and as the kids so aptly stated: it was time to find some food. So we did.
Now, the cupboards are bulging. Our stores had some good produce sales, so the fridge is pretty full, too. We also had some free items show up at the house. A friend gifted us with a spaghetti squash and free samples arrived in the mail. All-in-all, it was a good week.
Even better news? We came in under budget for the month again! I will be zeroing out the remainder this month and applying that toward our vacation budget to help offset the cost of Disney food. I intend to continue doing so for the remainder of the summer.
This week, I shopped at Costco and two local chains. If you are new to my weekly budgeting posts, you can read the original story here. At the end of the post, I have listed our menu for the week.
Free to Us:
- Whole milk (2 gal.), Lactose-free milk (1.5 gal.), Shredded cheddar (5 lb.), Butter (4 lb.), $33.99
- Rice (25 lb.), Sugar (25 lb.), Flour (25 lb.), Oatmeal (5 lb.), Tortilla chips (3 lb.), $35.65
- Total: $69.64
Local Chain #1:
- Salad dressing (64 oz.), Cheese (2 lb.), $9.96
- Strawberries (2 lb.), Mixed veggies (2 lb.), Peas (2 lb.), $6.98
- Total: $16.84 after reusable bag discount
Local Chain #2 (first visit):
- Pasta (6 lb.), Mustard (14 oz.), Ketchup (38 oz.), BBQ Sauce (54 oz.), Pasta sauce (15 lb.), Gluten-free bread (18 oz.), $22.03 after coupons
- Chicken breast (5 lb.), Whole milk (1 gal.), Eggs (2 doz.), Greek yogurt (5 oz.), $14.13
- Avocados (4), Cantaloupe (1), Carrots (5 lb.), Lettuce (2), Apples (3 ib.), Potatoes (16 lb.), Grapes (2 lb.), $24.48
- Total: $60.64
Local Chain #2 (second visit):
- Tortillas (2 lb.), Salsa (32 oz.), Pasta (2 lb.), Gluten-free pasta (12 oz.), Miracle Whip (30 oz.), Quick-rising yeast (4 oz.), $18.23 after coupon
- Ground beef (6 lb.), Whole milk (1 gal.), Eggs (2 doz.), $17.55
- Cantaloupe (1), Sweet corn (5 ears), Grapes (3.26 lb.), Lettuce (2), Watermelon (1), $13.98
- Total: $49.76
Grand Total: $196.88
Total Remaining for June: $56.51
This is a good amount to have left in the budget for the month, and I am happy to be able to put it into our travel account. In July, we will begin the month with $400 again.
Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal, yogurt, granola, toast, pancakes, eggs, fruit
Italian dunkers, sandwiches, burritos, cheese & crackers, fruits & veggies
Hamburgers on Homemade Buns, mashed potatoes, grapes
Chicken salad sandwiches, corn on the cob, watermelon
Grilled cheese on Homemade Bread, lettuce salad, mixed fruit
Spaghetti, lettuce salad
Bratwurst, potato salad, lettuce salad
Dinner with family (x2)
How do you keep your grocery budget low? Let me know in an email or comment below!