Is next week August already? Really?!? I can read the calendar, but it seems a little unreal to me. This week I have been preparing for the upcoming start of our homeschool year. I wrote about that on Monday.
Thankfully, I have been able to achieve all of my goals this week in cleaning and organizing our school supplies. In addition, books, worksheets, projects, and binders are ready to go. All that’s left to do is load software and textbooks onto the girls’ computers, and we will be set.
When I have not been getting school “stuff” ready, I have been at the store. None of my shopping trips were significant, but I did make several small runs to a few locations. If you are new to my weekly budgeting posts, the original story is here. This week, I shopped at two local chains (twice at one of those), CVS, Wal-Mart, Swanson Vitamins, and the Dollar Tree. As always, our weekly menu is listed at the end of today’s post.
Local Chain #1 (first trip):
- Pears (3.46 lb.), Milk (1 gal.), $7.22
- Total: $7.22
Local Chain #1 (second trip):
I forgot to take a picture. Sorry!
- Tomatoes (0.95 lb.), $1.32
- Total: $1.32
Local Chain #2:
- Tortilla chips (11.5 oz.), Peanut butter cups (3 oz.), Tissues (128 ct.), $0.98 after coupons and tax
- Bratwurst (2 lb.), Ground beef (9 lb.), Bacon (24 oz.), $25.70 after coupon
- Strawberries (2 lb.), Grapes (3.49 lb.), Lettuce (2), Watermelon (1), Mushrooms (8 oz.), $17.45
- Cottage cheese (44 oz.), Milk (2 gal.), Eggs (2 doz.), Almond milk (1 gal.), $19.44
- Total: $63.57
- Conditioner (25.2 oz.), Gatorade (40 oz.), Maxipads (36 ct.), $4.76 after coupons and tax
- Total: $4.76 plus I received $9.00 in ExtraBucks to use on my next shopping trip
- Power bars (2.8 oz.), free after coupons
- Total: free
- Popcorn (6 oz.), Cookies (6 oz.), Parmesan cheese (3 oz.), Pretzels (9.5 oz.), Tortillas (2 lb.), $6.00
- Total: $6.00
- Clementines (3 lb.), Popcorn (7 oz.), Mustard (12 oz.), Cheese (8 oz.), $12.52 after Ibotta rebate and tax
- Ham (1 lb.), Gluten-free bread (14.1 oz.), Bread (24 oz.), $9.06 after Ibotta rebate
- Total: $21.58
Grand Total: $104.45
Total for July: $393.09
We have a whopping $6.91 left over for the month of July. I feel happy that we stayed within the budget, but truthfully I would have rather seen more money left unspent. I am shifting anything untouched in our summer’s household budget into our travel budget category instead, so as to try and build that back up from our trip earlier this summer to Disney World.
However, I bought quite a bit of meat this month (budget buster!). We also opted to take an impromptu day trip last weekend that necessitated a grocery run to Wal-Mart. It was cheaper and healthier than going to McDonalds, but ate up some of the food budget all the same.
Next week we will start the budget over with $400 for the month of August.
Toast, Homemade Granola, yogurt, cottage cheese, egg burritos, fruit
Noodles w/beans, sandwiches, burritos, leftovers, fruits & veggies
Hamburgers on Homemade Buns, French fries, grapes
Cowboy pizza on Homemade Crust, lettuce salad, melon
BLTs, baked beans, melon
Bratwurst, lettuce salad, mixed veggies
Spaghetti, lettuce salad
Picnic supper (x1)
Wedding reception (x1)
How is your summer grocery budget doing? Let me know in an email or comment below!