Well, we went over budget this month. I knew it was going to happen and I am not particularly upset about it. We will make up the shortfall in October, as it will be a much more normal month for our schedule.
If you are new to my weekly budgeting posts, you can catch the original story here. We were blessed this week with a gift of food from Todd’s parents. They participate in the same food buying “club” we have used in the past. This month, there were extra shares available, so we ended up with a large box of items. I forgot to snap a picture before putting things away, but we received bread, frozen pizza, yogurt, soup, ground turkey, and several other things.
I shopped at Walmart (twice), Natural Grocers, one local chain (twice), and our local gluten-free bakery. A few of the items I bought this week were outside my typical purchases. I promised to make a cheesecake for a birthday and I was determined it would be safe for me, too. That was expensive, but worth it.
I also visited our local gluten-free bakery for the first time. Oh man, was that good. The owner shared a fresh-baked sugar cookie with me. It was heavenly. I will be making regular return trips there.
As always, our weekly menu is listed at the end of today’s post.
Local Chain (trip #1):
- Kiwi (5), $2.95
- Total: $2.95
Local Chain (trip #2):
- Potato chips (17 oz.), Tomato soup (10.75 oz.), Ham (9 oz.), Turkey breast (9 oz.), Ground beef (1.97 lb.), $14.31 after coupons
- Carrots (2 lb.), Lettuce (2), Apples (5.03 lb.), Oranges (2.3 lb.), Mixed veggies (2 lb.), $13.91 after coupon and Checkout 51 rebate
- Milk (2 gal.), Almond milk (0.5 gal.), $11.28
- Total: $39.50
Included in next picture
- Rice Krispies (24 oz.), $0.25 moneymaker after TopCashBack and Ibotta rebates
- Total: $0.25 moneymaker
Walmart (in store):
- Olive oil (25.5 oz.), Margarine (15 oz.), Gluten-free graham cracker crumbs (12 oz.), Dill pickles (24 oz.), Instant milk (25.6 oz.), $21.54
- Total: $21.54
- Sour cream substitute (12 oz.), Cream cheese substitute (8 oz.), Almond milk yogurt (12 oz.), $7.72
- Total: $7.72
- Bread (19 oz.), Dinner rolls (12 oz.), Bagels (14 oz.), Cookie mix (1 lb.), $13.99
- Total: $13.99
Grand Total: $85.45
September Final: $80.26 over budget
Considering that I started out on September first with an almost $125.00 shortfall, we came a long way in regaining ground in the budget. We are also two-thirds of the way through our children’s fall birthdays (and the resulting parties). I am optimistic about October.
Toast with peanut butter, cereal, Homemade Granola, fruit
Quesadillas, sandwiches, leftovers, fruits & veggies
Cheeseburger calzones, kiwi, lettuce salad
Bacon spinach pasta, lettuce salad
Beefy rice, lettuce salad, mixed veggies
Ham sandwiches, carrots, apples
Frozen pizza, lettuce salad
Dinner with family (x1)
What is your favorite way to stretch your family’s grocery budget? Let me know in an email or comment below!